20060301

Some good questions with suggested answers

QUESTION 1
Tell me about yourself and your background.
(Number one question asked by employers).

1. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, I have two sisters and one brother. I had a normal upbringing - lots of family interaction. I went to grammar school and high school in Los Angeles, but went to college in Arizona. I have always been interested in sports and I especially like baseball. I got married and had two children, and they are now growing up and I am ready for a more challenging position. I have always been good at math and always wanted to learn more about computers.

2. I have worked all my adult life and I've held all kinds of jobs at various companies. I am a hard worker. I am looking for a growth-oriented company where I can utilize my abilities and experience and can continue to learn new things be challenged.

3. For the past six years I have been in the electronics industry working on computer systems. Two years ago I was promoted to lead technician and currently supervise tour testers and technicians. My strength is problem solving. I work well independently or as a member of a team. I have worked in fast paced environments most of my life, and am very goal-oriented and deadline driven. I am looking for a position as a lead or coach where I can effectively work with a team to bring in results that contribute to the bigger picture or bottom line.


QUESTION 2
You mentioned you work well with a team,
can you describe a situation when you had to gain cooperation from a team.
1 I worked on a team project that was really running behind schedule. The first thing I did was get everyone together to discuss the problem and what was happening and why. We then came up with some new ways of approaching the project and schedule. I set up a system so that each person could track his or her own progress - through data entry and frequent check-ins. It seemed to make a a big difference when each person felt like he or she was making a contribution to a bigger project. Within a week the improvement was very noticeable.
2 I am a real team player. I always work well with a team. Whenever there is cooperation needed I am one of the first to be involved. I have worked on all kinds of teams and some are better than others, but we always get the work done - and on time. I really like being a member of a team.
3 Whenever I am working on a team, we always work well together. We have a lot of meetings and we work out our problems. We set up guidelines and schedules and we work well together to get the work out on time. One time we were behind, but we all pitched in and made out a schedule and really worked as a team to pull it together. We all were accountable for our part of the project and it made us feel really good to accomplish more than was asked for. We made all our deadlines and got awarded for our teamwork.


QUESTION 3

What has been the most difficult technical skill for you to learn?
1 I had a difficult time learning C++ (or the software most difficult for you). I had to keep relearning aspects that were similar to other programs I'd worked on. With some help from some fellow technical people, and a lot of hard work on my part, I was able to get through the program and become fairly proficient.
2 work hard to learn as many programs as possible. I want to have a broad range of languages and programs to offer. They have really all been difficult to learn, but I like a challenge.
3 I haven't really had any problems learning programs. I usually just hack my way through. I mostly learn through trial and error. I think that's the best way to learn anything - kind of hands-on.

Quest 4 Do you have any questions for me?
(usually asked by the Interviewer at the end of the interview)

1 No, I think you pretty much covered everything.
I'm sure I'll have questions later, if I get the job.
2 Well, I'd like to know more about the benefits of working for the company. What kind of vacation and health benefits do you offer your employees? What are the hours? What do you pay for overtime?
3 I'd like to know what the company's philosophy is toward its employees. What are this organization's challenges, problems, opportunities? What do you think are the important qualities necessary for this job?

No comments: